RICHARD VAUGHAN | SQUASH AUSTRALIA CEO
No doubt you are following the news of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) as carefully as we are.
At this stage we plan to remain open during regular hours and all events will go ahead as planned, subject to weekly assessments and discussions with government departments.
To keep everyone safe, Squash Australia is recommending a number of precautions to ensure the continued health of all Australians, squashies and non squashies.
We will require your assistance during this period and would appreciate it if the following instructions could be distributed among teams.
Recommendations and precautions for the Squash community around Australia (subject to local/state conditions that may apply):
1. If your sick or unwell consider if you should stay at home to contain any spread of illness – squash can wait a week.
2. Increase the use of hand sanitiser at home or out and about. It would be great if centres/clubs can increase the distribution of sanitiser or wipes.
3. Ensure basic hygiene around washing hands – info sheet attached
4. On the court - do not shake hands, use another form of acknowledgement e.g. foot tap
5. Do not share racquets or towels.
6. Sanitise the ball between matches and your own hands between matches after touching the ball.
7. Centres should ensure bathroom facilities are cleaned more regularly and that court door handles are sanitised regularly.
For our performance players, their programmes remain unaffected and all players are encouraged to follow and get updates from the Governments Smart Traveller website before they travel - https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/consular-services/subscribe?gclid=Cj0KCQiAwP3yBRCkARIsAABGiPp3g-nt7uW6swOSYMWRyBTUAjLYhL-T5ZrYadZHghafkHQ6kdi3vGEaAowaEALw_wcB.
I have attached a nice ‘ten ways to reduce your risk of coronavirus ‘information sheet from the VIS and also their athlete health check to monitor symptoms. I hope they will be useful.
Stay safe and hopefully see you all soon.
Chief Executive Officer
- Queensland Government Department of Health:
- SmartTraveller Website:
- Australian Government Department of Health: